12 Museums for Children in Salzburg
Get to Know the City of Mozart
Going to museums is an exciting activity in Salzburg, even or rather, especially with children. The city has exciting stories to tell, both from the past and the present. Dedicated children’s, nature and technology museums present interesting topics in a playful way for families. Art collections let you dive into the life of Mozart and the world of the prince archbishops. The special guided tours, painting courses and workshops do not leave any time for your children to get bored.
All Museums Just Around the Corner
Need a break from your cultural tour? Hotel Amadeus is just a 10 to 15 minute walk from most museums. The 40 m² to 50 m² apartments offer plenty of space for up to 6 people, so the whole family can recharge with refreshments, tea, and coffee from the Honesty Bar.
Children’s, Nature, and Technology Museums
- Haus der Natur: Salzburg's most popular museum with space for dinosaurs, fish, reptiles, crystals, the world millions of years ago, the universe and a science center for experiments. Exciting parts of nature and technology on more than 7,000 m². - Current opening hours and events for children at Haus der Natur<
» 11 minutes walk from Hotel Amadeus to the Haus der Natur (Museumsplatz 5, distance 950 m).
- Toy Museum: Valuable old toys to look at, lots to experience, try out and participate in: The Toy Museum is about everything that children love: a marble run, a Carrera racing track, a toy store, a slide, balancing stations, regular creative workshops and a hand puppet show every Wednesday. – Current opening hours and events at the Toy Museum
» 11 minutes walk from Hotel Amadeus to the Toy Museum (Bürgerspitalgasse 2, distance 900 m).
- Hangar 7: The spectacular glass architecture at Salzburg Airport is home to restored historic aircraft, helicopters, Formula 1 cars and Red Bulls motorcycles. Art, lifestyle, and top-class gastronomy also come together here.
» Trolleybus 2 from Wolf-Dietrich-Straße (Schrannengasse) 35 minutes | by bar 20 minutes to Hangar 7 (Wilhelm-Spazier-Straße 7a, distance 5,5 km).
- Ferdinand Porsche Experience: The fahr(T)raum in Mattsee is an interactive classic car museum with technology to engage with for visitors of all ages. Here, everything focuses on the history of the ingenious designer Ferdinand Porsche and his breathtaking vehicles. – Current opening hours and offers for children
» By car from the parking garage Linzer Gasse 30 minutes to fahr(T)raum Mattsee (Passauer Str. 30, 5163 Mattsee, distance 21,5 km).
Art and History
- Salzburg Museum: In the magnificent New Residence, the art and cultural history of the city and province of Salzburg is told in an exciting way. There are glittering treasures, handcrafts, and curious musical instruments from different centuries as well as a permanent exhibition about the myth of Salzburg. Guided tours and workshops for children and families encourage them to become creative, to play theater and dance in costumes. –Current opening hours and offers for children and families
» 11 minutes walk from the Hotel Amadeus to the Salzburg Museum (Mozartplatz 1, distance 1 km).
- Museum der Moderne: The Museum der Moderne on the Mönchsberg is all about connecting with the art of the 20th and 21st centuries. The guided tours and workshops for children and parents extend the understanding of contemporary culture. Every Tuesday and Wednesday there are studios for children, every Sunday a family afternoon with art mediators.. – Current opening hours and offers for children and families
»12 minutes walk from Hotel Amadeus to the MönchsbergAufzug (Gstättengasse 13, distance 1 km).
- Keltenmuseum Hallein:One of the largest museums of Celtic history and art in Europe is located in Hallein. Young archaeologists go on a journey through time to the prehistory of Salzburg. There are Iron Age burial grounds to discover, valuable grave goods, ornate gold jewelry and the reconstructed Celtic village of Salina near the salt mine on the Dürrnberg. - Current opening hours and offers for children and families
»By car from the parking garage Linzer Gasse 30 minutes to the Keltenmuseum Hallein (Pflegerplatz 5, 5400 Hallein, distance 18 km).
Castles, Chateaus, Mansions, and Farms
- Fortress Hohensalzburg:Landmark of the city of Salzburg with the oldest "Hornwerk" in the world, original preserved princely rooms from 1500 and three museums. One of these contains armor and weapons from the Middle Ages and the other, historical Salzburg marionettes. – Current opening hours and offers for children and families
»13 minutes walk from Hotel Amadeus to the fortress railraod (Festungsgasse 4, distance 1 km).
- Lustschloss Hellbrunn: Must-see for families – contains Salzburg Zoo, a park with fishponds, playgrounds, the original pavilion from the musical Sound of Music and the Stone Theater. The original preserved water games with caves and "hydraulically" moved figures are also extremely popular. - Current opening hours and offers for young visitors
» Bus line 25 from Makartplatz 15 minutes to Hellbrunn stop | by car from parkin garage Linzer Gasse 20 minutes to Schloss Hellbrunn (Fürstenweg 37, distance 7,5 km) | boat trip: 2,5 hours inkl. boat to Schloss Hellbrunn, water games and historic double-decker bus. 8 minutes walk to the pier – departure times listed on salzburghighlights.at.
- DomQuartier Salzburg: The ceremonial rooms of Salzburg's prince archbishops, valuable church treasures, a "chamber of art and curiosities" and the normally inaccessible organ gallery of Salzburg Cathedral. Even children are fascinated by all of this. In consideration of 15,000 m2 of exhibition space and over 2,000 exhibits, it is best to focus on particular areas. – Current opening hours and guided tours and events at the DomQuartier
» Zu Fuß vom Hotel Amadeus 11 Minuten zum DomQuartier (Residenzplatz 1, Distanz 800 m).
- Salzburger Freilichtmuseum: Salzburg's largest museum is in the open air. It includes 100 reconstructed old farms from all over the country, craft stores, commercial and industrial monuments. A museum train runs through the grounds. Recommended stops: the Dorfkrämerei and the "Salettl" museum guesthouse to recharge your batteries. – Current opening hours and offers for children
» By car from the parking garange Linzer Gasse 25 minutes to the Salzburger Freilichtmuseum (Hasenweg 1, 5084 Großgmain, distance 18,5 km).
- Hohenwerfen Castle: 900 years ago, a fortress of the city of Salzburg against attacks from the South - today an adventure castle with the Landesfalkenhof and spectacular flight demonstrations, a reconstructed prince's room, bell tower, armory, powder tower, a sinister staircase, and a dungeon. – Current opening hours and offers for children and families
» By car from the parking garage Linzer Gasse 46 minutes to Hohenwerfen Castle (Burgstraße 2, 5450 Werfen, distance 55 km).
Die 5 besten Museen für Kinder in Salzburg
More tips and benefits of our family apartments
In addition to the museums, Salzburg and its surroundings offer numerous other attractions, experiences, and excursion tips for families with children. You can find an overview with the following link.
Family excursions near Salzburg