Weekend in Salzburg
Tips for your short stay in the City of Mozart
Immerse yourself in the history of Austria - right in the city centre of Salzburg. Our Hotel Amadeus is located in the old town, surrounded by the best sights of Salzburg such as the Linzer Gasse and Getreidegasse with its great variety of beautiful shops and cafés, and unmissable attractions including the Mirabell Palace, Mozart's home and birthplace, the Cathedral and Residence. Enjoy the ideal location of Hotel Amadeus and take relaxing breaks at our cosy hotel rooms or in an old traditional coffee house or rustic beer garden. Experience Salzburg in the most comfortable way!.
Living like Mozart
Our city hotel in the old town of Salzburg has 20 hotel rooms and each one is unique: each one is different - each one is special. Full of antique unique pieces, exquisite little details and real eye-catchers. With stucco or wooden ceilings, colourful accents and nostalgic charm. Every single room is unique in style and equipped with designer seatings, modern lamps and barrier-free wellness showers, four-poster beds or king-size box spring beds for a restful night's sleep. Individuality, personal hospitality and the highest levels of comfort is very important to us – for your short trip to Salzburg full of unforgettable moments.
Everything on the spot
How about a morning stroll through the green market in front of the Collegiate Church or a visit to the flowering Mirabell Gardens? Simply amazing: Take a walk to the city hills to enjoy panoramic view of Salzburg, a picnic in the beautiful Hellbrunn park or visit one of many museums. Either way, the visit of a café in the old town is always important part of the classic Salzburg experience. This mixture will make your weekend in the City of Mozart unforgettable.
7 tips for your weekend in Salzburg
- Early on saturday morning at the Grünmarkt: fruit and vegetables, bread and sensationally good sausages. Jams, juices, pastries, flowers – the daily market serves everything your heart desires. On Saturdays the offer is almost twice as big as on weekdays. The stalls are lined up from the Collegiate Church at Universitätsplatz to the Wiener Philharmoniker Gasse.
» on foot 8 minutes’ walk from Hotel Amadeus to Grünmarkt (Universitätsplatz, distance: 700 m).
- Strolling through the World Heritage Site:Salzburg is often referred to as the "Rome of the North", as the meeting point of northern and southern European art. Italian architects played a decisive role in shaping today's cityscape, especially notable at the large squares and the cathedral. The DomQuartier takes you back in time, with its baroque state rooms, cathedral area and monastery of St. Peter.
» on foot 11 minutes’ walk from Hotel Amadeus to Dom (Domplatz 1a, distance: 900 m).
- Shopping & coffee house tour: Linzer Gasse, Getreidegasse, the Old Marketplace, Judengasse and Kaigasse form the heart for shopping fans. Old-established, original shops alternate with trendy boutiques, souvenir shops and goldsmiths. Between traditional Salzburg shops such as Sporer, Atzwanger or Knopferlmayer and international luxury brands such as Prada, Hermés, Louis Vuitton or Montblanc, you will find everything you like: Including souvenirs such as original “Mozartkugeln”, traditional costume accessories, traditional Salzburg spice bouqets and wines. For a short shopping-break, we recommend visiting the traditional cafés Bazar, Tomaselli, Fürst, Glockenspiel and the romantic pastry shop Schatz.
» on foot 6 minutes’ walk from Hotel Amadeus to Getreidegasse (Distance: 550 m).
- Walk on the Mönchsberg: The view from the top of the mountain is unique. Even if you have little time, a short excursion from the Toskaninihof behind the House for Mozart via the Clemens-Holzmeister-Stiege up to the Mönchsberg in the center of Salzburg's Old City is well worth a visit. As you arrive the top of the Bürgermeisterloch, you can decide whether you want to hike towards the Fortress or the Museum of Modern ArtThe views there are also fantastic. For the way back you can choose between a ride on the Festungsbahn or the Mönchsberg Lift.
» on foot 19 minutes’ walk from Hotel Amadeus to the Bürgermeisterloch (Doktor-Ludwig-Prähauser-Weg, distance: 1,3 km.
- Salzburg City Cruises & Hellbrunn: Discover Salzburg from water and choose between three different boat trips on the river Salzach. Ideally, you should combine your boat trip on your Salzburg weekend with a visit to the highly recommended Hellbrunn Palace with its enormous park, pleasure gardens, trick fountains and the Salzburg Zoo.
» on foot: 9 minutes walk from the Hotel Amadeus to the Salzburg Stadt Schifffahrt (Franz-Josef-Kai 1a, distance 750 m) | by bus: 15 minutes drive with the bus line 25 at Makartplatz to the Hellbrunn Palace | by car: 20 minutes drive from parking garage Linzer Gasse (Fürstenweg 37, distance 7,5 km).
- Gwandhaus: This baroque chateau from the 17th century in one of Salzburg`s most beautiful locations serves today as a museum, traditional costume shop and tailor's shop for traditional and modern costume fashions, and is home to a restaurant with fine Austrian and Bavarian cuisine. Various events such as the Easter and Christmas markets or concert, film and cabaret evenings are also very popular. It is worth a visit.
» by bus: 20 minutes’ drive with the bus line at Markartplatz to Kleingmain | by car: 15 minutes’ from parking garage Linzer Gasse (Morzger Str. 31, distance 6 km).